Skip to main content

City 4 - The Missing Puzzle

The human mind is home to millions of things that sometime don’t seem logical at all. With adults, this mind can articulate itself pretty well and make those around it understand and connect. But what about a child’s mind? Especially one that cannot even put into words its feelings and wants. Now add to that a constant irritable life that doesn't make sense in its holistic sense. It is a cruel world out there for them.

Even though I knew what lacked in these kids’ life, I never really understood its essence. It runs so deep in their lives that the affects can be surmounted only through constant and slow progression. Living in cramped spaces that long for fresh air, these tiny minds are curbed in every possible way. From physical restrictions of movement to mental restrictions of “traditions” and “social norms”. The age where they ought to be outside playing, they try to overcome these unseen boundaries in their own ways.

Some see these boundaries as challenges and turn rebellious; some see them as shackles and succumb. But when they see a small opening where the boundaries are completely eliminated, they grow ecstatic by the day. Things that held them back for so long have suddenly vanished in this place called classroom. All they want to do is live as much as possible in this space of freedom and in the process forget all their worries back home. But at the same time, the people they have to rejoice with are the same that they are told to look at with suspicion back home. How do I make the difference? What am I supposed to do? The logical solution in their minds is to try and grasp both of it and this, leads to chaos!

The tiny freedom that they see is the teacher that is more a friend than an authority. Someone who actually treats them as fellow human beings and gives them gifts instead of sticks. As trivial as it sounds, these small things make a huge difference in a child’s life. They get thrashed for a mistake and ignored for a job well done. This is embedded so deep in their minds that they now see physical assault as the only solution to every problem. I have to make sure they know, understand and practice one the alternatives. They may fail to choose between two behaviours that they have to show but the teacher is still their most favourite person and they’ll do anything to keep him happy. From vying to erase the board to beating each other up just so that they could carry the bag from the door to the chair, they can bear it all for his appreciation.

Though it is wrong for someone to hit others, it is the only expression they know and obviously, they are going to use it. What I have realized here is that they lack people in their lives who show unconditional love. And it is not anybody’s fault either because here, investment for future means saving food for tomorrow. They witness horrendous things every day and get accustomed to it but that does not take away the deep seated want for love, for someone to reach out and show them that they are very important in this world. Simple acts like saying thank you and sorry or praising them for trying makes so much of a difference to them. All they want, crave and need is love. Because I am their only window to a world filled with opportunities and positivity. This is not a burden that I carry, but a duty that must be carried out. Because I can, I want and I will.

In the process of changing their lives and being a friend who showers them with all the positivity that there is, I find myself losing out on so many of mine. While I make some new ones, I am forced to let go of a lot more. Even though I have a sense of guilt and melancholy, it does not bother me as much now because I see the kids in a new light. The amount of love they shower on me in their own unique ways makes me want to go back for them even though it takes a hell lot from me. I now know that love actually conquers all. But what I have to work towards is for them to find it within themselves and each other because the more they depend on something external, the more vulnerable they become. Also, the idea is to put them on an independent, self-sustainable path.




And as for my life, it can wait until the futures of these tiny powerhouses are safe and filled with opportunities!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Help (Hope) lessness of our times

22 crore cases, 46 lakh deaths and rising. Orphans. Learning losses. Unemployment. Poverty. Hunger. Malnutrition. Depression. Inequality. Inequity. War. Hatred. Oppression. Discrimination. “A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.” - Philip K. Dick, The Man in the High Castle Seems like it has been years since I have felt some purposefulness to wake up or go to sleep at night. The ever unfolding, unending crises (plural) around and within makes me want to rather lie in bed, staring into the roof wishing I was deluded, sometimes, unalive. After over 45 days of forcing myself to live in a cocoon, for the first time in years, I feel emptied. My cup of life poured out lying in bed, sleepless for third night in a row, at 3AM. It started many years ago, what today some might call the “pre-covid era”, a sense of impending doom. A sense of there not being a future to look for

A Systemic Transformation?

A system is a combination of a lot of all-s; all the people,  all ideas,  all their behaviours, all their inter-relationships, all their inter-dependencies, all processes and all boundary conditions. The number of permutations and/or combinations of these factors would amount to infinity. Furthermore, in a world as dynamic and inter dependent as it is today, these factors would also change and evolve ever so often. Think about any “system” - education, agriculture, health, transportation, infrastructure, etc. Every one of them would have all of these factors (maybe even more?) playing on them. So how does one transform a system? Is it possible at all? How can one firstly, grasp the entirety of a system? W ith all of these questions, I entered my office a couple of weeks ago in New Delhi. There was an eerie silence but that was probably because nobody wakes up at 7am on a cold winter morning and lands up at their offices. As I passed time catching up on the latest of Koffee with

City 8 - The Puzzle

"Education is the greatest tool of a society" said Chanakya almost two millennia ago. Little did he realize that it will not hold true about two thousand years later. He did not take into account the shackles our society places on individuals and communities. Or may be he did and it is only I who is being cynical about it all. But how can I not be? I see children shaping their view of the world every single minute. My duty is to ensure they are able to make the right choices. I can sit any of my kids down and ask them about the various values they hold dear and how they can make sustainable changes in their class, family and society at large. They will give me answers that might very well put a saint to shame. We discuss equality of gender, religion, communities etc., to a large extent. They all articulate it well enough. But is it their perspective or is it their answer? I can never know. Living in extreme conditions, emotionally, physically and mentally, I believe