Skip to main content

City 6 - The Well Frog

As we turned left onto the road that lead to our destination, I sensed something amiss. The two students sitting with me in the auto had fallen silent. They were vigorously turning their heads to assimilate everything that was there in front of their eyes. They were trying to grasp all the happenings around and understand its purpose and existence. They had never gone beyond a one kilometre radius of their house, ever!

After having decided that I needed the kids to witness the working of a "normal" world, I announced amidst all the excitement in class, "In a week, the first three students who show values through actions will get to go out." Everyone wanted to help their friends, go out of their way to accommodate someone etc. Although, this momentum did not sustain after a couple of days, I pushed through. At the end of it, I had two boys and a girl who had made it. The two boys were anxious and overjoyed. But the girl...

"I not come bhaiyya. I go to grandmother house." she said with a very disappointed face. At the outset, it seemed like she wanted to come but her parents had other plans. I asked her if I could talk to her parents and convince them to allow her. She did not respond. With a confused look, I asked her to go home and have her parents call me immediately so I can pick her up on the way. She acknowledged and bolted out. After an hour and a half, the two boys and I were waiting outside the school, but no call came. I sent the boys to bring her. They returned within a minute. "They say she go grandmother house bhaiyya. I think she is inside only." I realized this was an issue I had to personally address by talking to the parent.

Having spoken to her mother before at school, I knew for a fact that the mother was very invested and had high hopes for her daughter. Why then did she not allow her to go out and see the world? Her uncle picked up the call. I explained to him why I was taking the kids out and why it is important for this particular girl to come (she aspires to be the PM or at least an IPS Officer). The uncle said, "I understand but her father will not allow her to go outside so you please carry on with the other two kids." I felt angry, frustrated, annoyed, shocked and depressed, all at the same time. How could any parent deny their child an opportunity to see the world? Especially when they themselves had such high hopes for her. Why can't they see how imperative it is for a child to experience new things and aspire to get there? She had not been allowed to come on our trip to the law school either. I could see that I had failed. Failed in getting one of the most potential kids to achieve her true potential, or at least try. I had failed her! I could only manage to say, "Okay, thank you!" *Click*

Trying let the issue be for a while, I focussed on the two boys now. We got into an auto and started our journey to the nearest pizza place. They were overwhelmed by the journey itself. They asked me what a guy was doing with iron rods and sparks of fire, why a big pipe was being lowered into the drain etc. They wanted to know everything. I then showed them the flyover that led to the airport. Their joy knew no bounds. "I only read and hear about airport bhaiyya. I never see. This road go there? How to go up on flyover? Come down, how?" They had never seen a flyover. You live in a city god-dammit! There are flyovers every two kilometres. "What do you do on holidays?" I asked, trying to understand how and why they hadn't ventured this "far". "Play, eat, that's all", they both said at the same time. 

"What do your fathers do?", I asked again. 
"I don't know". 
"Haven't you asked him?" 
"No!"
"Why not?"
"I ask, he beat!"
"Whaaaaaaaaattt? Why would he do that?"

Before they could answer, the auto stopped and we had to get out. I saw a supermarket and decided to take them inside as a quick continuation for the food distribution process I had explained to them earlier. Yet again, they were spellbound. So many items laid out in neat rows. So many computers to give bill, so many refrigerators, so many people to help! I walked them to the nearest refrigerator and picked few juice boxes and a chocolate. "Huh! You take like that only? No ask shopkeeper?" "No. In supermarket you take everything and then at the end you go to billing counter." They walked through the supermarket admiring the different kinds of pickles, noodles and soaps. When they arrived at the billing counter, there was another shock waiting for them. We got the bill without the guy checking the price of each item. They were just waved in front of a red light. "That's bar-code reader. It gives all the information needed to the computer", I said before they could ask. I was already too annoyed. How could you have never ever seen a supermarket or a flyover? You've wasted nine years of your life, abusing and hitting each other?

We moved to the pizza place. "It is so cold bhaiyya. Fan not there no, then how?" "It's called AC. See there." I pointed at what looked like a macro-sized tube-light to them. After another fifteen minutes of assimilation of surroundings, we ordered. The lady at the counter asked for my phone number and then said, "Hi, Nikhil. How may I help you?" 

"Bhaiyya!" 
"Wait. One spicy triple tango, diet coke and a mousse cake please! Yes, tell me now."
"How she know your name? She your friend?"
"So, every time I buy something at one of their stores, they record it so that next time they don't have to ask for it again.", I replied knowing full well that I wasn't even remotely close to the complete answer.

As we chatted and ate, one of the kids fell silent. I questioned him. He refused to tell me the reason. He was clearly upset about the experience. I could not stand it any more. This is absolute nonsense. I cannot do this to them. Their worlds are being shattered right in front of their eyes. Their version of the truth, is being stepped upon and crushed by the stark differences. Everybody is well dressed, polite, organized and most of all, it's peaceful, unlike the community they live in. Some of the kids may not even comprehend all of this. Enough. It's time to go back. Go back to your little bubble and feel the comfort of your known ecosystem. For today, it's enough exposure for you.

As I returned home, I could not help but judge the people living there. They talk about wanting to educate their children, they want their students to talk in English and aspire to become something bigger. But when it comes to following up on them, they find excuses ranging from money to society to culture to even "going to grand mother house." What is with this apathy? I have to end it. I can't watch them waste their lives away like this. These are my kids and they will make something out of themselves. To this effect, I have asked the girl's mother to come and meet me in school very soon. I need to get her on board, I need to get everyone on board and as soon as possible. 

That girl can rule the world. She is capable! (Not at all exaggerating) She and so many others aren't able to grow only because they don't see their learnings being put to use in the world outside, their little world. They're all well frogs that don't even know there is so much more outside. But  was I not one too? For having believed that everyone gets to see a flyover, at least in a city? Aren't we all well frogs? The difference is that some of us get to live in bigger wells!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Help (Hope) lessness of our times

22 crore cases, 46 lakh deaths and rising. Orphans. Learning losses. Unemployment. Poverty. Hunger. Malnutrition. Depression. Inequality. Inequity. War. Hatred. Oppression. Discrimination. “A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.” - Philip K. Dick, The Man in the High Castle Seems like it has been years since I have felt some purposefulness to wake up or go to sleep at night. The ever unfolding, unending crises (plural) around and within makes me want to rather lie in bed, staring into the roof wishing I was deluded, sometimes, unalive. After over 45 days of forcing myself to live in a cocoon, for the first time in years, I feel emptied. My cup of life poured out lying in bed, sleepless for third night in a row, at 3AM. It started many years ago, what today some might call the “pre-covid era”, a sense of impending doom. A sense of there not being a future to look for

A Systemic Transformation?

A system is a combination of a lot of all-s; all the people,  all ideas,  all their behaviours, all their inter-relationships, all their inter-dependencies, all processes and all boundary conditions. The number of permutations and/or combinations of these factors would amount to infinity. Furthermore, in a world as dynamic and inter dependent as it is today, these factors would also change and evolve ever so often. Think about any “system” - education, agriculture, health, transportation, infrastructure, etc. Every one of them would have all of these factors (maybe even more?) playing on them. So how does one transform a system? Is it possible at all? How can one firstly, grasp the entirety of a system? W ith all of these questions, I entered my office a couple of weeks ago in New Delhi. There was an eerie silence but that was probably because nobody wakes up at 7am on a cold winter morning and lands up at their offices. As I passed time catching up on the latest of Koffee with

City 8 - The Puzzle

"Education is the greatest tool of a society" said Chanakya almost two millennia ago. Little did he realize that it will not hold true about two thousand years later. He did not take into account the shackles our society places on individuals and communities. Or may be he did and it is only I who is being cynical about it all. But how can I not be? I see children shaping their view of the world every single minute. My duty is to ensure they are able to make the right choices. I can sit any of my kids down and ask them about the various values they hold dear and how they can make sustainable changes in their class, family and society at large. They will give me answers that might very well put a saint to shame. We discuss equality of gender, religion, communities etc., to a large extent. They all articulate it well enough. But is it their perspective or is it their answer? I can never know. Living in extreme conditions, emotionally, physically and mentally, I believe