Skip to main content

City 9 - The System

“You go. I will take care of him”, I said as she left with a heavy heart and wet eyes. While I walked him down to the office, I was confused and moved simultaneously. He was suffering from severe stomach ache which I had dismissed earlier. “Please call his parents and ask them to pick him up”, I requested the school admin who then took charge and asked the kid to sit down while she made the call.

I was born with a certain set of luxuries that most of my kids don’t enjoy. I find it very difficult to understand their intricate and delicate issues because I have never known for them to exist in the first place; I'm a koop mandook, to borrow a phrase from one of my senior colleagues. I have enjoyed the luxury of choice, of having an opinion, of attention and many more such subtleties of an upper middle class life. To come out of that and witness the world is not just overwhelming but also scary at times. But change is not easy, I knew that!

I try my best to expose my kids to the worlds they are unaware of with the intention of widening their horizon. Whenever I do, we end up discussing the various systems and structures within that world which leads to a healthy debate over the problems and their solutions. A bunch of over excited nine-year olds calling money flow in the market a form of barter system is very inspiring. Yes, I am proud of where these kids are headed! Of course they have miles to go but I believe they have chosen the right path (for now!).

We always advise people to find solutions to the problem, within the system. Many try their luck at bending the structures to meet their needs, while some manage to beat the system itself. Education is a major problem in our country. What starts in our policies rarely reaches the ground. This being the case, most of us have to try and work our way around the system (sometimes bend or beat it even). In the process, we manage to propel quite a few students towards “success”. Yes, ours is a success story, success of overcoming the system!

His sister raced down the corridor to see him. I followed her cautiously knowing nothing about what happened to the kid I had asked to lie down and rest. Her eyes widened at the sight of her brother. His eyes were moist and red. I could see every expression take its form on her face. It moved from surprise to concern and then to helplessness. She hugged him and stroked his hair gently asking him to calm down while he wept profusely. She did not know what to do. She was not aware of her right to request the teacher to send him home, she was not aware of her right to ask for first aid, she was not even aware of her right to ask someone for help. Neither was he, a boy who had had the TFI way of education. They both just wept together in each other’s arms. I have never seen such unconditional love, never! Their helplessness made it even more painful to watch.

As I sunk back on the bench, a million thoughts raced through my mind. What was she trying to do? Didn't she know what to do? Or did she just choose not to act on it? Was she scared of the system around her which would probably shrug her away or was she just plain unaware of the possibilities? Whatever it was, I don’t know what I am teaching the kids any more. What am I to teach these budding souls? To break the system by employing cheap off the shelf tricks? To beat the system with their superior knack for shrewd decisions? Or to create a system of their own? What is “success” really?

Whatever may be my next step, I know one thing for sure now, love is where everything must start!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Help (Hope) lessness of our times

22 crore cases, 46 lakh deaths and rising. Orphans. Learning losses. Unemployment. Poverty. Hunger. Malnutrition. Depression. Inequality. Inequity. War. Hatred. Oppression. Discrimination. “A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.” - Philip K. Dick, The Man in the High Castle Seems like it has been years since I have felt some purposefulness to wake up or go to sleep at night. The ever unfolding, unending crises (plural) around and within makes me want to rather lie in bed, staring into the roof wishing I was deluded, sometimes, unalive. After over 45 days of forcing myself to live in a cocoon, for the first time in years, I feel emptied. My cup of life poured out lying in bed, sleepless for third night in a row, at 3AM. It started many years ago, what today some might call the “pre-covid era”, a sense of impending doom. A sense of there not being a future to look for

A Systemic Transformation?

A system is a combination of a lot of all-s; all the people,  all ideas,  all their behaviours, all their inter-relationships, all their inter-dependencies, all processes and all boundary conditions. The number of permutations and/or combinations of these factors would amount to infinity. Furthermore, in a world as dynamic and inter dependent as it is today, these factors would also change and evolve ever so often. Think about any “system” - education, agriculture, health, transportation, infrastructure, etc. Every one of them would have all of these factors (maybe even more?) playing on them. So how does one transform a system? Is it possible at all? How can one firstly, grasp the entirety of a system? W ith all of these questions, I entered my office a couple of weeks ago in New Delhi. There was an eerie silence but that was probably because nobody wakes up at 7am on a cold winter morning and lands up at their offices. As I passed time catching up on the latest of Koffee with

City 8 - The Puzzle

"Education is the greatest tool of a society" said Chanakya almost two millennia ago. Little did he realize that it will not hold true about two thousand years later. He did not take into account the shackles our society places on individuals and communities. Or may be he did and it is only I who is being cynical about it all. But how can I not be? I see children shaping their view of the world every single minute. My duty is to ensure they are able to make the right choices. I can sit any of my kids down and ask them about the various values they hold dear and how they can make sustainable changes in their class, family and society at large. They will give me answers that might very well put a saint to shame. We discuss equality of gender, religion, communities etc., to a large extent. They all articulate it well enough. But is it their perspective or is it their answer? I can never know. Living in extreme conditions, emotionally, physically and mentally, I believe