Skip to main content

Search for Sanity, Revisited!

Adaptation is an evolutionary trait in all life forms! But it doesn't explain why and how life on a daily basis cannot adapt to the changing environment, relations, situations and above all, idea of self! What makes up an ideal transition into a "new" life?

Throughout the 3 hour flight to Delhi, I was both anxious and excited. Excited because what I had been wanting to do for 12 years, was waiting for me. Anxious because, well, what if I'm not ready? What if I don't fit in? What if I had made a wrong choice? What if the 12 year me was wrong? As I stepped foot onto the hard ground, the first thing to hit me was of course the heat. But then, indifference took over! I was travelling with colleagues who I had barely been introduced to. I had no clue what lay ahead at the company retreat (yes, that’s how I got to start my new job) and to be honest I didn't even try to find out. I was still getting over the fellowship and the insane heat (that I've never been used to). Squeezing myself into a cab with the others, I stared at the road ahead and gave directions to the driver to keep myself busy to avoid coming across as impolite or rude.

I've been in this kind of situation once before, I could take it again of course. I walked around introducing myself to everyone but at the back of my head lay an unfounded fear, some discomfort that I didn't understand. The day began with much fanfare, moving on to more serious conversations with some big names from different sectors. I was of course in awe of the proximity of these stalwarts to me but then again, I wasn't just present fully. One of them spoke about the nuances of emerging journalism and the other about people and teams. Who dare help me find and sort what lay inside me though? As the day passed I forced myself to socialize because obviously not doing so is plain wrong. There's no second thought about it. Nevertheless, it probably was too obvious I was a little uncomfortable being there and I decided it was time to call it a day!

The next day turned out to be a little better in the sense that I got to sit and update myself on the projects varying from areas I probably would never have heard of. I stuck to my comfort zone and stayed with people I already had been acquainted with. I didn't want to take risks with the mind space I was in. But slowly I was to see how each and every one was better qualified and better equipped to be in this field that I have touted to be my dream for over a decade. Things were shattering inside my head, the conviction, the clarity, the confidence! The one thing that got me till here was giving up, my self-belief!

I strode up and down in my head trying to salvage the situation. My heart paced its way ahead of my mind. The AC didn’t allow a sweat but I was tired and drained out! But I had to keep up, there was no room for slacking and so I put up a calm and composed face and played along with all the jokes, the conversations, the discussions and the socialization. Late into the night, I would give in to all this turmoil. It started with a stray conversation, I didn't pay much attention to what I was saying. I had far more pressure that I felt inside which needed focus. I ended up divulging with something that bordered on unacceptable information. By the time I realized what I had spoken, it was too late. Maybe I overstepped a line, maybe it was okay or maybe it didn't mean anything. I felt like I was being “bracketed” in all the minds that received this piece of information. A highly pressured gate of frustration had been opened in my head. It was too late to do anything but when has the mind ever listened to that? I had to let it be. I had to detach. Easier said than done!

The following few days were spent over-thinking, re-imagining and chastising myself. Maybe my doubts from the other day were true, maybe I just wasn't ready to move on! I remembered what someone said to me the previous night, “nobody will get you but you’ll get through!” It made sense but it wasn't of any help. Days passed just sticking to routines of travel, work and sleep. Lack of focus made me late to work which has never happened ever before, it slowed my senses, it messed up my appetite and it probably has done more which I don’t even see. To add to it, I was trying to keep up with people far beyond me. I've always cherished such a situation because it pushes me faster and helps me learn but this time around, it was taking a toll one step at a time! Trusting people with myself was something I had set out to work on a few years ago and had come a long way but now I'm not quite sure what is happening!  

How do I fix something I don’t understand? How do I undo the things I did? Have I underestimated my attachment to the life bygone? Have I misunderstood what I want? How do I adapt once again to this change? Have I lost myself? Or is this how you find oneself? Maybe I'm fighting in vain? The thing that keeps me going though is my faith in the possibility of a better tomorrow! A faith that holds together the entire world should at the very least be able to hold my erratic and tiny mind (?)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Help (Hope) lessness of our times

22 crore cases, 46 lakh deaths and rising. Orphans. Learning losses. Unemployment. Poverty. Hunger. Malnutrition. Depression. Inequality. Inequity. War. Hatred. Oppression. Discrimination. “A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.” - Philip K. Dick, The Man in the High Castle Seems like it has been years since I have felt some purposefulness to wake up or go to sleep at night. The ever unfolding, unending crises (plural) around and within makes me want to rather lie in bed, staring into the roof wishing I was deluded, sometimes, unalive. After over 45 days of forcing myself to live in a cocoon, for the first time in years, I feel emptied. My cup of life poured out lying in bed, sleepless for third night in a row, at 3AM. It started many years ago, what today some might call the “pre-covid era”, a sense of impending doom. A sense of there not being a future to look for

A Systemic Transformation?

A system is a combination of a lot of all-s; all the people,  all ideas,  all their behaviours, all their inter-relationships, all their inter-dependencies, all processes and all boundary conditions. The number of permutations and/or combinations of these factors would amount to infinity. Furthermore, in a world as dynamic and inter dependent as it is today, these factors would also change and evolve ever so often. Think about any “system” - education, agriculture, health, transportation, infrastructure, etc. Every one of them would have all of these factors (maybe even more?) playing on them. So how does one transform a system? Is it possible at all? How can one firstly, grasp the entirety of a system? W ith all of these questions, I entered my office a couple of weeks ago in New Delhi. There was an eerie silence but that was probably because nobody wakes up at 7am on a cold winter morning and lands up at their offices. As I passed time catching up on the latest of Koffee with

City 8 - The Puzzle

"Education is the greatest tool of a society" said Chanakya almost two millennia ago. Little did he realize that it will not hold true about two thousand years later. He did not take into account the shackles our society places on individuals and communities. Or may be he did and it is only I who is being cynical about it all. But how can I not be? I see children shaping their view of the world every single minute. My duty is to ensure they are able to make the right choices. I can sit any of my kids down and ask them about the various values they hold dear and how they can make sustainable changes in their class, family and society at large. They will give me answers that might very well put a saint to shame. We discuss equality of gender, religion, communities etc., to a large extent. They all articulate it well enough. But is it their perspective or is it their answer? I can never know. Living in extreme conditions, emotionally, physically and mentally, I believe