Skip to main content

Impact at Scale

As I wait for my early morning flight with heavy eyes and some disorientation, I feel surprised I'm not the least bit irritated or annoyed at it. I've always had trouble with being physically drained out, it makes me cranky. But today, the 7th night in a row that I've slept for less than 3 hours, I feel satisfied, at peace! 

It has been a maddening week and I could use a good sleep but my mind keeps racing back to yesterday's meeting with the Chief Minister. There has been an average of 10-15% reduction in public grievances in the state, read one of the many achievements on the slide. I didn't think of it much then. It was just a number. But now, I'm not sure of the emotions running around thinking about what that actually means, changing lives at a massive scale, an entire state. Multiple institutions cutting across various departments have been impacted, indirectly reaching tens of thousands of people. I have never even seen so many people. May be that is the reason I'm not sure about what I feel. I can't put my finger on someone's name and say yes this person here has changed, its not personal. Maybe I'm selfish to want to see the happiness in the people that have been impacted. Nevertheless, being part of this increasingly motivated high energy team makes me proud, proud that we have touched lives we'll probably never know of. And that for me, is a scary feeling. Scary because its new, because it brings along a huge, huge responsibility! This is what I'm used to reading about in papers, some scheme affecting some lakhs of people and suddenly now I'm with a team that does that, its unnerving! 

Also, witnessing the full power of the state for the first time was moving to say the least. All the Chief Minister had to do was turn to his officer and look and the issue was handled. For the first time ever I saw what it means to be at the helm of a state, to have the whole population's mandate. The sheer power of that office was nakedly visible every time a sentence was breathed and people around scribbled into their notebooks to get it done. Along with power of course came responsibility. Every request was not heeded blindly, it couldn't be. The accounting for multiple peoples, managing multiple variables in the system, it was absolutely important to take the right decisions at the right time. How do you keep up with these things? How do you live up to that responsibility? How do you do even better? How do you not succumb to the pressure it puts on you? How do you ensure the ground beneath you doesn't just slip away one day?

Because of my sleeplessness, I'm unable to process so much but one thing is for sure, there is a lot more to be achieved than was! 

Comments

  1. Really great news!!! this information is well worth looking everyone. Good tips. I will be sharing this with all of my friends! Thank you for sharing valuable information.
    ____________________
    Atscale

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Help (Hope) lessness of our times

22 crore cases, 46 lakh deaths and rising. Orphans. Learning losses. Unemployment. Poverty. Hunger. Malnutrition. Depression. Inequality. Inequity. War. Hatred. Oppression. Discrimination. “A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.” - Philip K. Dick, The Man in the High Castle Seems like it has been years since I have felt some purposefulness to wake up or go to sleep at night. The ever unfolding, unending crises (plural) around and within makes me want to rather lie in bed, staring into the roof wishing I was deluded, sometimes, unalive. After over 45 days of forcing myself to live in a cocoon, for the first time in years, I feel emptied. My cup of life poured out lying in bed, sleepless for third night in a row, at 3AM. It started many years ago, what today some might call the “pre-covid era”, a sense of impending doom. A sense of there not being a future to look for

A Systemic Transformation?

A system is a combination of a lot of all-s; all the people,  all ideas,  all their behaviours, all their inter-relationships, all their inter-dependencies, all processes and all boundary conditions. The number of permutations and/or combinations of these factors would amount to infinity. Furthermore, in a world as dynamic and inter dependent as it is today, these factors would also change and evolve ever so often. Think about any “system” - education, agriculture, health, transportation, infrastructure, etc. Every one of them would have all of these factors (maybe even more?) playing on them. So how does one transform a system? Is it possible at all? How can one firstly, grasp the entirety of a system? W ith all of these questions, I entered my office a couple of weeks ago in New Delhi. There was an eerie silence but that was probably because nobody wakes up at 7am on a cold winter morning and lands up at their offices. As I passed time catching up on the latest of Koffee with

City 8 - The Puzzle

"Education is the greatest tool of a society" said Chanakya almost two millennia ago. Little did he realize that it will not hold true about two thousand years later. He did not take into account the shackles our society places on individuals and communities. Or may be he did and it is only I who is being cynical about it all. But how can I not be? I see children shaping their view of the world every single minute. My duty is to ensure they are able to make the right choices. I can sit any of my kids down and ask them about the various values they hold dear and how they can make sustainable changes in their class, family and society at large. They will give me answers that might very well put a saint to shame. We discuss equality of gender, religion, communities etc., to a large extent. They all articulate it well enough. But is it their perspective or is it their answer? I can never know. Living in extreme conditions, emotionally, physically and mentally, I believe