Skip to main content

City 2 - The Flip Side

From times immemorial we have been taught that knowledge must always be accompanied by humility. We have seen many epitomes of this co-existence. But how far can a lay man achieve it? The vision of an ideal state breaks down to minute pieces at the door of a daily wage labourer. They are not worried about how the future is going to look or what the purpose of life is. All they want to do, is survive the day. But I shall persevere, to push my students to fight the odds and worry about the future, because it is needed, because they are going to be the decision makers!

On the path to excellence, I find it hard to change the students' perspective about each other. They are individually very smart and understand the necessity of working together and being compassionate but they somehow fail to put it into action. I chose my battle, I chose to get them to first follow my instructions irrespective of what they feel or think. This was imperative because I cannot afford to be over-powered in class. It will come crumbling down upon me if even one small incident is ignored.

After giving incentives and consequences, after being disrespected, abused and sometimes beaten, I have to a certain extent got the majority to listen to me. It takes a lot of constant reinforcement, but I have to do it and am doing it. Now that I have their attention, I can teach content. But the moment I get them involved with each other to learn or help, things crumble. Gradual release of responsibility does not work because when they start doing it on their own, there is always a conflict. Sometimes I lose it. Sometimes I give up and say,"Fine, fight. Do whatever you want!"

Identifying the key students whose behaviour if I control first, I can turn the others around, I focussed on them. Having achieved some success, I could now concentrate on the others using these few as support and/or examples. Not once did I think this would be backfiring in a different way, the flip side of my management tactics!

The top order of the class (who also were the students with behaviour issues) started failing. They started losing interest in studies. They performed extremely well during class, followed every instruction sincerely, showed immense growth during revisions but in the test, they failed. I don't know why, I don't know how.

Is it a choice I have to make? Between getting them to co-exist peacefully and achieving academic excellence? Is it possible for me to find a middle ground? But settling is not my cup of tea. They need to get to where I want them to. I fear that they will end up choosing the wrong path in future. Many of the students are extremely intolerant towards their peers because of religion, caste, gender, 'status' etc. How will I get them to understand that education and humility must go hand in hand?

There is an answer out there that I need to find badly. There is a key out there that is going to unleash the true potential of these kids. There is a hope out there that these few, will write history. But when I will lay my hands on it, is yet to be seen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Help (Hope) lessness of our times

22 crore cases, 46 lakh deaths and rising. Orphans. Learning losses. Unemployment. Poverty. Hunger. Malnutrition. Depression. Inequality. Inequity. War. Hatred. Oppression. Discrimination. “A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.” - Philip K. Dick, The Man in the High Castle Seems like it has been years since I have felt some purposefulness to wake up or go to sleep at night. The ever unfolding, unending crises (plural) around and within makes me want to rather lie in bed, staring into the roof wishing I was deluded, sometimes, unalive. After over 45 days of forcing myself to live in a cocoon, for the first time in years, I feel emptied. My cup of life poured out lying in bed, sleepless for third night in a row, at 3AM. It started many years ago, what today some might call the “pre-covid era”, a sense of impending doom. A sense of there not being a future to look for

A Systemic Transformation?

A system is a combination of a lot of all-s; all the people,  all ideas,  all their behaviours, all their inter-relationships, all their inter-dependencies, all processes and all boundary conditions. The number of permutations and/or combinations of these factors would amount to infinity. Furthermore, in a world as dynamic and inter dependent as it is today, these factors would also change and evolve ever so often. Think about any “system” - education, agriculture, health, transportation, infrastructure, etc. Every one of them would have all of these factors (maybe even more?) playing on them. So how does one transform a system? Is it possible at all? How can one firstly, grasp the entirety of a system? W ith all of these questions, I entered my office a couple of weeks ago in New Delhi. There was an eerie silence but that was probably because nobody wakes up at 7am on a cold winter morning and lands up at their offices. As I passed time catching up on the latest of Koffee with

City 8 - The Puzzle

"Education is the greatest tool of a society" said Chanakya almost two millennia ago. Little did he realize that it will not hold true about two thousand years later. He did not take into account the shackles our society places on individuals and communities. Or may be he did and it is only I who is being cynical about it all. But how can I not be? I see children shaping their view of the world every single minute. My duty is to ensure they are able to make the right choices. I can sit any of my kids down and ask them about the various values they hold dear and how they can make sustainable changes in their class, family and society at large. They will give me answers that might very well put a saint to shame. We discuss equality of gender, religion, communities etc., to a large extent. They all articulate it well enough. But is it their perspective or is it their answer? I can never know. Living in extreme conditions, emotionally, physically and mentally, I believe