Skip to main content

City 3 - The Unconscious Hope

Everyday when I wake up I find myself torn between the world I live in and the one I just left, my dream. This is not because I am lazy but because of what I have to see when I get to my class. Tiny minds being moulded by atrocity and mediocre expectations. The only thing that keeps me going is my hope of bringing in that change. I did not see that hope, let alone belief in any of the students I have.

Education is a very tricky concept. Where do we draw the line? Is it education if a child chooses to start a business instead of continuing school? Is it education if a child can score well in class and perform well in sports? As far as my understanding goes, it is something that changes the way you live even if it is in the most tiniest of ways. Now this goes beyond classroom, beyond teachers and schools. It captures every aspect of life itself. Hence, a child's development, does not limit itself to his/her school and home. And as a human being, nobody can change all parts of the child's life in order to provide excellent education.

But what is it all leading to? In a society such as ours, what is an "educated" child doing? What are his/her opportunities? Does his/her life really change? A student who is "well-educated" is still found on the streets. Unemployment is staring at us point blank, under-employment even more so. Then what was the point of all that the child was made to go through for almost two decades of student life? Some students and parents see this. They realize that whatever the child does, at the end of it all, the goal is to land up with a decent paying job which can sustain life. Very few have high expectations or hopes. 

All of this makes me question my methods, my skills, the baton that I'm passing down. There is no reason why my students should be invested in my class and value all the different things I teach them. They can just emulate the ones they see survive in this society and get away with it. They know it in their skin that all of this is just to get that sustainable job and if they get it right now, then they will leave this life. How do I build the culture of higher achievement? On a completely different note, I was trying a new way to bring these students to understand the need for living together in peace. The plan was to take photographs of each student and put it up on the walls with their goals attached. This way, they can see it up front on where they have to get and who they have to work with.

While I was clicking photos, I asked them laugh and not just smile. I found to my surprise, that many of them wanted to do something more, make funny faces. Though I hadn't captured all the students, it suddenly hit me like a bolt of lightning. I have been seeing it all wrong. In their laughs and funny faces I saw hope. I saw the difference between what they were and what they wanted to be. They would pose only till I clicked. Later, it was back to their old self. It was very clear to me that even though they struggle to read basic English, even though they see the world to be a really weird place, they hope to reach a place of bliss. This hope cannot be asked for, it cannot be seen everyday or sensed by someone easily. It rests somewhere deep down in their minds where it is waiting to be seen, heard, believed and actualized! The photos below are of just some of these students who can change a lot of things.

















I take it up on myself that I will make sure to bring this hope to the fore front and help them enable themselves to realize it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Help (Hope) lessness of our times

22 crore cases, 46 lakh deaths and rising. Orphans. Learning losses. Unemployment. Poverty. Hunger. Malnutrition. Depression. Inequality. Inequity. War. Hatred. Oppression. Discrimination. “A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.” - Philip K. Dick, The Man in the High Castle Seems like it has been years since I have felt some purposefulness to wake up or go to sleep at night. The ever unfolding, unending crises (plural) around and within makes me want to rather lie in bed, staring into the roof wishing I was deluded, sometimes, unalive. After over 45 days of forcing myself to live in a cocoon, for the first time in years, I feel emptied. My cup of life poured out lying in bed, sleepless for third night in a row, at 3AM. It started many years ago, what today some might call the “pre-covid era”, a sense of impending doom. A sense of there not being a future to look for

A Systemic Transformation?

A system is a combination of a lot of all-s; all the people,  all ideas,  all their behaviours, all their inter-relationships, all their inter-dependencies, all processes and all boundary conditions. The number of permutations and/or combinations of these factors would amount to infinity. Furthermore, in a world as dynamic and inter dependent as it is today, these factors would also change and evolve ever so often. Think about any “system” - education, agriculture, health, transportation, infrastructure, etc. Every one of them would have all of these factors (maybe even more?) playing on them. So how does one transform a system? Is it possible at all? How can one firstly, grasp the entirety of a system? W ith all of these questions, I entered my office a couple of weeks ago in New Delhi. There was an eerie silence but that was probably because nobody wakes up at 7am on a cold winter morning and lands up at their offices. As I passed time catching up on the latest of Koffee with

City 8 - The Puzzle

"Education is the greatest tool of a society" said Chanakya almost two millennia ago. Little did he realize that it will not hold true about two thousand years later. He did not take into account the shackles our society places on individuals and communities. Or may be he did and it is only I who is being cynical about it all. But how can I not be? I see children shaping their view of the world every single minute. My duty is to ensure they are able to make the right choices. I can sit any of my kids down and ask them about the various values they hold dear and how they can make sustainable changes in their class, family and society at large. They will give me answers that might very well put a saint to shame. We discuss equality of gender, religion, communities etc., to a large extent. They all articulate it well enough. But is it their perspective or is it their answer? I can never know. Living in extreme conditions, emotionally, physically and mentally, I believe