Skip to main content

Day 6 - The Responsibility to Change (?)

What is the one elemental thing that sets me apart from those whose life still revolves around making ends meet? What is that one thing that was given to me that I leveraged in my growth? Why was I given that element? These were some of the questions that wriggled inside my head for a long time, the search for the differentiating element.

Every child has the potential to become someone in future regardless of his/her current situation. There is a sense of possibility in that child’s future. We may never find any evidence or non-evidence of this but we cannot work on factual data when it comes to the future of the society. Notwithstanding the individual growth that the child may have, he/she deserves every right at the chance. Limitations that constrain this belief in the child plays a major role in conditioning his/her mind from a very early age. We all know that more often than not, a child who is constantly ridiculed for being slow, will remain (or become) slow.

Values and mind-sets always play an imperative role in any decision that is taken. Personal experiences, beliefs and way of thinking influence every human’s decision making skills. Because of this simple reason, inculcating the right values and mind-sets in students become very important. It would be unfair on our part to place in front of an innocent child, the world and ask him/her to decide on issues. What they need, is an understanding of those issues, the ability to decide right from wrong and the art of weighing pros and cons.

It is not an easy task to imbibe mind-sets and values in a child who can barely focus on something other than being happy. It takes a patient, dedicated and creative brain to encompass all these within lessons and activities in school to overcome the dominant trait of the child and condition him/her to push limits. Having said that, where do we draw the line? When should we stop pushing our kids to set mind-sets and values? Is it our “responsibility” to “put” them on the right path? Who is to decide what the right path is? If I had given in to this “putting” me on the right path, I would not have been what I am today! 

Now that I think of it, I believe that this CHOICE of making my OWN, INFORMED decision was what set me apart. And this is what I will want to pass on, the ability of making an informed choice. Though I might have the power to change the child’s path as a teacher, I should only guide him/her until where the road splits. Having given every ounce of knowledge and having conditioned them to make the right choice, I should let them exercise their right to choose their own life path. It is my responsibility to train them to make an informed choice but it is my most elemental duty to stop myself from making that choice for them, because then, he/she will only be an extension of us which is putting a limitation to the possibilities in the future.

Comments

  1. Well put! There is a thin line between "telling / making" children do something and "guiding" them to "choose" what / how / when and where to do something. It becomes the sole responsibility of the teacher to know this line and deciding on which side would do best to her / his students.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Help (Hope) lessness of our times

22 crore cases, 46 lakh deaths and rising. Orphans. Learning losses. Unemployment. Poverty. Hunger. Malnutrition. Depression. Inequality. Inequity. War. Hatred. Oppression. Discrimination. “A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.” - Philip K. Dick, The Man in the High Castle Seems like it has been years since I have felt some purposefulness to wake up or go to sleep at night. The ever unfolding, unending crises (plural) around and within makes me want to rather lie in bed, staring into the roof wishing I was deluded, sometimes, unalive. After over 45 days of forcing myself to live in a cocoon, for the first time in years, I feel emptied. My cup of life poured out lying in bed, sleepless for third night in a row, at 3AM. It started many years ago, what today some might call the “pre-covid era”, a sense of impending doom. A sense of there not being a future to look for

A Systemic Transformation?

A system is a combination of a lot of all-s; all the people,  all ideas,  all their behaviours, all their inter-relationships, all their inter-dependencies, all processes and all boundary conditions. The number of permutations and/or combinations of these factors would amount to infinity. Furthermore, in a world as dynamic and inter dependent as it is today, these factors would also change and evolve ever so often. Think about any “system” - education, agriculture, health, transportation, infrastructure, etc. Every one of them would have all of these factors (maybe even more?) playing on them. So how does one transform a system? Is it possible at all? How can one firstly, grasp the entirety of a system? W ith all of these questions, I entered my office a couple of weeks ago in New Delhi. There was an eerie silence but that was probably because nobody wakes up at 7am on a cold winter morning and lands up at their offices. As I passed time catching up on the latest of Koffee with

City 8 - The Puzzle

"Education is the greatest tool of a society" said Chanakya almost two millennia ago. Little did he realize that it will not hold true about two thousand years later. He did not take into account the shackles our society places on individuals and communities. Or may be he did and it is only I who is being cynical about it all. But how can I not be? I see children shaping their view of the world every single minute. My duty is to ensure they are able to make the right choices. I can sit any of my kids down and ask them about the various values they hold dear and how they can make sustainable changes in their class, family and society at large. They will give me answers that might very well put a saint to shame. We discuss equality of gender, religion, communities etc., to a large extent. They all articulate it well enough. But is it their perspective or is it their answer? I can never know. Living in extreme conditions, emotionally, physically and mentally, I believe