Skip to main content

Day 2 - Solving a contradiction

Contradictions when seen first hand, bring with it a feeling of inner turmoil. More so when it is in one single day! Having had ended the previous day on a hopeful note, I prepared myself to going into a community to meet a kid. But I was yet to figure out what I wanted to bring back.

Under constructed on the outside, and delicately detailed on the inside. Tiles, TV, cooler, furniture, almost everything that a middle class well to do family can have, was here in the apparently poverty ridden community. Greeted by excited kids, I could not help but wonder about the situations that lead to such ostensible lives. While we were settling down in our buses to return, a few kids aged not more than thirteen years started misbehaving with the girls sitting inside. Shell shocked at the sheer audacity and confused about how to react to tiny kids acting like absolute hooligans, she shut the window. This incited an entire volley of stones, gravel and garbage being hurled at us, by children who could hardly think beyond cartoons! Grossly disturbed, I urged myself to go deeper into the issue.

Education in our country has been providing information but not empowering the people. Almost all the successful people are where they are because of the 'dis-education' that they have had. There is no direct change that can be found due to education and this probably diminishes it's value greatly in the minds of people. Also, this makes you apprehensive about the educated (empowered to be precise) class, their 'manipulations and tricks', leading to unconscious hatred towards them.

After the disturbing incident, there was absolutely no hope for things to get better. That was until the inauguration ceremony. Kids from different schools performed in front of five hundred odd audience who were left speechless. One group put up a singing and dance show where one guy dances while a group sings. Live dance for live music, how many times have you come across that? Next there were kids who could make leading journalists blush with their oratory skills. Speaking on topics like global warming, Indo-China border, the kids made us stand up on our feet to acknowledge their talent and confidence.

As I head back to my bed very eagerly, I believe I have seen two extremes of the same thing, education. On one side, the disabling shackles and on the other, an enabling and empowering freedom. I think I have found what I want to pass on to my students. The ability to learn and empower themselves. Because when I leave, I want to be sure that the future of this country is not adversely dependent on certain things and that they will find their ways to ensure that regardless of any obstacle, let alone the absence of a good teacher!

Comments

  1. With every new read its getting better n better.. keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a way with words! very well written :)
    Hope every day has a new learning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Help (Hope) lessness of our times

22 crore cases, 46 lakh deaths and rising. Orphans. Learning losses. Unemployment. Poverty. Hunger. Malnutrition. Depression. Inequality. Inequity. War. Hatred. Oppression. Discrimination. “A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.” - Philip K. Dick, The Man in the High Castle Seems like it has been years since I have felt some purposefulness to wake up or go to sleep at night. The ever unfolding, unending crises (plural) around and within makes me want to rather lie in bed, staring into the roof wishing I was deluded, sometimes, unalive. After over 45 days of forcing myself to live in a cocoon, for the first time in years, I feel emptied. My cup of life poured out lying in bed, sleepless for third night in a row, at 3AM. It started many years ago, what today some might call the “pre-covid era”, a sense of impending doom. A sense of there not being a future to look for

A Systemic Transformation?

A system is a combination of a lot of all-s; all the people,  all ideas,  all their behaviours, all their inter-relationships, all their inter-dependencies, all processes and all boundary conditions. The number of permutations and/or combinations of these factors would amount to infinity. Furthermore, in a world as dynamic and inter dependent as it is today, these factors would also change and evolve ever so often. Think about any “system” - education, agriculture, health, transportation, infrastructure, etc. Every one of them would have all of these factors (maybe even more?) playing on them. So how does one transform a system? Is it possible at all? How can one firstly, grasp the entirety of a system? W ith all of these questions, I entered my office a couple of weeks ago in New Delhi. There was an eerie silence but that was probably because nobody wakes up at 7am on a cold winter morning and lands up at their offices. As I passed time catching up on the latest of Koffee with

City 8 - The Puzzle

"Education is the greatest tool of a society" said Chanakya almost two millennia ago. Little did he realize that it will not hold true about two thousand years later. He did not take into account the shackles our society places on individuals and communities. Or may be he did and it is only I who is being cynical about it all. But how can I not be? I see children shaping their view of the world every single minute. My duty is to ensure they are able to make the right choices. I can sit any of my kids down and ask them about the various values they hold dear and how they can make sustainable changes in their class, family and society at large. They will give me answers that might very well put a saint to shame. We discuss equality of gender, religion, communities etc., to a large extent. They all articulate it well enough. But is it their perspective or is it their answer? I can never know. Living in extreme conditions, emotionally, physically and mentally, I believe